Is Your Property Ready for Winter?
Cold weather can have a huge impact on your home or business if you are not ready for it. Heavy rain, freezing temperatures, damaging winds, sleet, or snow can cause serious and costly property damage. To prevent costly damages, consider the information below:
- Check your property for weakened and over grown tree limbs and branches. Wind, heavy rain, ice and snow can cause serious damage to both the property and individuals.
- Roofs, water pipes and gutters should all be inspected and in good working condition to avoid ice damming which can lead to exterior and interior damage.
- Inspect walkways and parking lots for proper drainage to avoid slippery areas.
- Inspect water pipes to make sure they are properly insulated to avoid freezing and breaking.
- Ask SERVPRO of Mount Prospect/North Des Plaines, 847-956-1880, about completing an Emergency READY Profile (ERP) for your business. The ERP is a no cost assessment of your facility and provides you with a plan to get back in business fast following a disaster.
When winter weather strikes, call SERVPRO of Mount Prospect/North Des Plaines Franchise Professionals to strike back.
Biohazard Cleanup Services
Recognized as a leading fire and water cleanup restoration provider by hundreds of insurance companies nationwide, SERVPRO of Mount Prospect/North Des Plaines professionals offer fast, reliable biohazard cleanup and restoration services to residential and commercials properties.
Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can have serious health issues for building occupants, employees, customers and owners. Our professionals are trained to safely, effectively and discreetly remove biohazardous substances and prepare it for proper disposal according to OSHA, EPA and state and local health regulations. Our services include:
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Crime Scene and Suicides
- Infectious Diseases
- Urine and Feces
- Rodent Droppings
- Extensive Hoarding
- Sewage Backup
SERVPRO of Mount Prospect/North Des Plaines can help turn unsafe environments into clean, safe properties and make a difficult or personal situation easier to handle. We are here for you in your time of need. Call 847-956-1880
Importance of Sprinkler Systems in Commercial Properties
Whether you have purchased a commercial property or are in the process of building a commercial building, before a new company can open for business; it must be in compliance with local, state and federal fire safety standards. As a commercial building owner or property manager, one of your biggest concerns is protecting the investment you've made in your business and the people who work there.
Sprinkler systems can help make your business safer in multiple ways. Sprinklers work by detecting the heat from a fire and automatically turning them on. While the spray from the sprinklers is not always enough to put out the fire, it goes a long way to suppressing the fire and allowing more evacuation time until the fire department can get there.
Fire and water damage not only affects the structure of your building and it's contents but also your emotions. Don't take on the stress of dealing with this on your own, Call SERVPRO of Mount Prospect/North Des Plaines at 847-956-1880 and let us make this "Like it never even happened."
Fires are Preventable
When it comes to your property, certain safety precautions can be taken to help prevent fires. below are some tips that can help you to prevent a fire.
Electrical and Appliances Safety
- Replace frayed and old worn electrical cords on appliances. Also make sure all extension cords are in good working condition and do not run cords under rugs or furniture.
- If an appliance has a three prong plug, use it only in a three slot outlet. Never force it into a two slot outlet or extension cord.
- Immediately shut off light switches that are hot to the touch and lights that flicker and have replaced by a trained professional.
Fireplaces and Woodstoves
- Inspect and clean woodstove pipes and chimneys annually and check for damage or obstructions monthly.
- Always use a fireplace screen heavy enough to stop a burning log from rolling out and big enough to cover the entire opening of the fireplace to catch flying embers.
- Make sure that the fire is completely out before leaving your home or going to bed.
For more fire safety tips, visit ready.org and if a fire should occur call SERVPRO of Mount Prospect/North Des Plaines at 847-956-1880 and our trained professionals will make it "Like it never even happened."
Warning Signs of Faulty Wiring or Electrical Systems
Electrical failure or malfunctions account for an estimated 34,000 home fires, on average, per year and result in roughly 440 deaths and $1.3 billion in direct property damage according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). This threat is higher in older homes built before the 1950's due to lower electrical wiring standards, however; even newer homes are at risk. Older homes were built to handle 30 amps of power, but most newer homes demand 100 to 200 amps. Listed below are some of the warning signs that may indicate an electrical problem in your home:
- Flickering or dimming lights.
- Switches or outlets that are hot to touch and/or give off a strong burnt rubber odor.
- Discolored cords, outlets and switch plates.
- Repeatedly blown fuses and tripped circuit breakers.
If you have any any of these, contact a licensed electrician immediately to examine and repair any electrical problems and if the need for fire restoration is required, we are there to make it "Like it never even happened". SERVPRO of Mount Prospect/North Des Plaines, 847-956-1880.
Mold vs. Mildew?
Mold and mildew both have a few matching characteristics. Both thrive on moist, warm areas and can grow on a multitude of surfaces, from food, to your shower to a sheet of paper, and of course they are both two types of fungi that no homeowner likes to see in their home.
However; mold and mildew also have striking differences when it comes to size, color a and texture
Mildew is a surface fungi that can easily be identified as a patch of gray or white fungus that is on the surface of a moist area. Mildew can be easily treated with a store bought cleaner and scrub brush.
Mold, on the other hand, can be black or green and is often the result of a much larger infestation. This type of fungus can appear as almost fuzzy and even slimy in nature. Toxic molds can be harmful to both humans and ecosystems.
The key to treating mold and mildew is to remove it as soon as possible before it has a chance to do permanent damage to your home.
If you think you may has a mold issue, call the mold removal professionals at SERVPRO of Mount Prospect/North Des Plaines at 847-956-1880
So You Think You Might Have Mold?
Mold hidden behind a cabinet.
If you think you might have a mold problem, call SERVPRO of Mount Prospect/North Des Plaines at 847-956-1880. A SERVPRO professional trained in mold remediation will be available to examine the structure for any visible signs of mold and evaluate the cost of the remediation and restoration needed. In some cases, mold may not be visible but still may be present.
Additional assistance may be required by an Indoor Air Quality/Environmental Professional with specialized equipment to detect hidden mold. They evaluate the quality of the air inside a structure. Using various testing devices, they collect air and surface samples to compare the indoor spore count to the outdoor environment. We can assist you in finding an Indoor Air Quality/Environmental Professional if needed.
Whether you have had a visual or air sample test done, remember that SERVPRO of Mount Prospect/North Des Plaines is always there to handle your mold remediation and restoration in a professional and safe manner.
Please keep in mind that SERVPRO does not interpret insurance policies or coverage; you must consult with your insurance company to determine if you are covered or not.
Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Mold Removal?
Don't be caught off guard after you already have a mold problem. Coverage varies from policy to policy, so read your policy carefully and if your have any questions, call your insurance agent. Some policies contain exclusions, stating they do not cover mold removal and others cover mold removal under certain circumstances. They may also cover the removal but not the testing itself.
If you think you might have a mold problem, call SERVPRO of Mount Prospect/North Des Plaines at 847-956-1880. A professional trained in mold remediation will examine the structure for any visible signs of mold. If mold is found, you will be asked to approve and sign a work authorization form prior to any mold cleanup or related work being performed. The technician may also recommend you leave the affected area while the mold cleanup and associated containment process is being safely completed.
If a visual inspection does not reveal mold and you feel that you may still have a mold issue, we can recommend an Indoor Air Quality/Environmental Professional with specialized equipment to access the situation.
"Remember, no mold is good mold!"
It's the Water You Don't See
Even small water damages have the potential to cause serious structural and indoor quality issues over time. The key to avoiding costly future restoration is to handle every water problem as a real threat to your property. SERVPRO of Mount Prospect/North Des Plaines professionals have the equipment, training and experience to find and dry unseen water before secondary damages occur. The proper equipment such as moisture sensors, moisture meters and thermohygrometers make a measurable difference in reducing the damage expense during a fire or water loss. When time matters, technology and equipment must be counted on to perform SERVPRO of Mount Prospect/North Des Plaines has a full arsenal of specialized equipment to make sure that your water damage is “Like it never even happened.” Give us a call at 847-956-1880.
Recipe for Safety
Cooking Safety Tips:
- Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you have to leave the room for even a second, turn your stove or cooking device off.
- When you are simmering, baking, or roasting, check the food regularly or use a timer to remind you.
- Keep cooking areas clean and clear of combustibles such as potholders, paper towels, food packaging, etc...
- Keep children away from cooking areas by enforcing a "kid-free zone" of at least three feet around the stove.
- If an oven fire starts, turn off the oven and keep the door closed. If the fire does not go out, get out of the house and the fire department.
Please remember that education in prevention is the best way to keep you and your family safe. In the event there is a fire, call your local fire department and then call SERVPRO of Mount Prospect/North Des Plaines at 847-956-1880 to help you with all your fire restoration needs.