Recent Storm Damage Posts
The Do's and Dont's of Surviving a Flood
Flooding can happen at anytime and anywhere as a result of rain, snow coastal storms, storm surges and the overflow of dams and water systems. Just 6 inches of moving water can knock a person down and 1 foot of moving water is enough to sweep your vehicle away. Remember the following:
- Depending on where you are and the impact and warning time of the flooding, go to a previously identified safe location.
- If you are told to evacuate, leave immediately. Never drive around barricades that local responders have used to safely direct traffic out of flooded areas.
- Listen to EAS, NOAA Weather Radio or local alerting systems for current emergency information and instructions.
- Do not walk, swim, or drive through flood waters. Turn around.
- Stay off bridges over fast moving water. Bridges can be wash away without warning.
- If your vehicle is trapped in fast moving water, stay inside unless the water is rising inside the vehicle, then seek safety on the roof.
- If trapped in a building, go to the highest level. Do not go into a closed attic where you may be trapped by rising floodwater. Go to the roof if necessary and signal for help.
- Always remember to listen to authorities for information and instructions during a flood situation and return home only when they say it is safe to do so.
If a flood does strike your home or business, contact SERVPRO of Mount Prospect/North Des Plaines at 847-956-1880 for all your water restoration needs.
What To Do Now To Prepare For A Flood
Floods are the most common natural disaster in the United States.
- Know types of flood risks in your area. Visit FEMA's Flood Map Service Center https://msc.fema.gov/portal for information.
- Sign up for your community's warning system (EAS) The Emergency Alert System.
- If flash flooding is a risk in your location, monitor potential sign, such a heavy rain.
- Learn and practice evacuation routes, shelter plans,and flash flood response.
- Gather supplies in case you have to leave immediately or if services are cut off including medications, pet needs, batteries or and other critical equipment.
- Purchase or renew a flood insurance policy. It typically takes up to 30 days to go into effect. Get Flood coverage under the(NFIP) the National Flood Insurance Program.
- Keep important documents in a waterproof container. Create password protected digital copies.
- Protect your property by moving valuables to higher levels, declutter drains and gutters, install check valves and consider a sump pump with a battery.
Remember that SERVPRO of Mount Prospect/North Des Plaines, 847-956-1880, is available 24/7 to help you if the need should arise.
Build an Emergency Kit
Be Prepared at your home or business with an Emergency Kit. Ready.gov suggests you have enough supplies to last for at least three days. Below are some suggested items to include in your kit:
- 3-day supply of non-perishable foods
- Water (one + gallon per person per day)
- Prescription medication
- Sleeping bag or blankets
- Fire extinguisher
- Hygiene products
- Extra batteries
- Cell phone charger
- Change of clothes
- Matches in waterproof container
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Whistle to signal for help
- Pet supplies
- Infant formula and diapers
- Important documents such as insurance policies, ID's, and bank records in a container
You can also keep a condensed emergency kit in your vehicle as well. For a more extensive list, check out Ready.gov. and remember, if needed; we are her to help you, call SERVPRO of Mount Prospect/North Des Plaines at 847-956-1880.
When Storms or Floods hit, SERVPRO is ready!
Our highly trained crews are ready to respond 24/7 to storm or flood damage!
SERVPRO of Mount Prospect/North Des Plaines specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Mount Prospect/North Des Plaines, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today 847-956-1880