What To Do Now To Prepare For A Flood
Floods are the most common natural disaster in the United States.
- Know types of flood risks in your area. Visit FEMA's Flood Map Service Center https://msc.fema.gov/portal for information.
- Sign up for your community's warning system (EAS) The Emergency Alert System.
- If flash flooding is a risk in your location, monitor potential sign, such a heavy rain.
- Learn and practice evacuation routes, shelter plans, and flash flood response.
- Gather supplies in case you have to leave immediately or if services are cut off including medications, pet needs, batteries or and other critical equipment.
- Purchase or renew a flood insurance policy. It typically takes up to 30 days to go into effect. Get Flood coverage under the(NFIP) the National Flood Insurance Program.
- Keep important documents in a waterproof container. Create password protected digital copies.
- Protect your property by moving valuables to higher levels, declutter drains and gutters, install check valves and consider a sump pump with a battery.
Remember that SERVPRO of Mount Prospect/North Des Plaines, 847-956-1880, is available 24/7 to help you if the need should arise. Call us ANYTIME!