If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (847) 956-1880

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Warning Signs of Faulty Wiring or Electrical Systems

11/18/2019 (Permalink)

Plug on fire in an electrical outlet Electric fires account for 34,000 house fires a year

Electrical failure or malfunctions account for an estimated 34,000 home fires, on average, per year and result in roughly 440 deaths and $1.3 billion in direct property damage according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). This threat is higher in older homes built before the 1950's due to lower electrical wiring standards, however; even newer homes are at risk. Older homes were built to handle 30 amps of power, but most newer homes demand 100 to 200 amps. Listed below are some of the warning signs that may indicate an electrical problem in your home:

  • Flickering or dimming lights.
  • Switches or outlets that are hot to touch and/or give off a strong burnt rubber odor.
  • Discolored cords, outlets and switch plates.
  • Repeatedly blown fuses and tripped circuit breakers.

If you have any any of these, contact a licensed electrician immediately to examine and repair any electrical problems and if the need for fire restoration is required, we are there to make it "Like it never even happened". SERVPRO of Mount Prospect/North Des Plaines, 847-956-1880.

Other News

View Recent Posts